ICRCL Guidance Notes: (INFO-PM1a).
- The Development and After-use of Landfill Sites, 17/78, Eighth Edition, 1990 (PDF, 8MB)
- The Redevelopment of Gasworks Sites, 18/79, Fifth Edition, 1986 (PDF, 4.7MB)
- The Redevelopment of Sewage Works and Farms, 23/79, Second Edition 1983 (PDF, 2.3KB)
- The Redevelopment of Scrap Yards and Similar Sites, 42/80, Second Edition, 1983 (PDF, 1.6KB)
- The Fire Hazards of Contaminated Land, 61/84, Second Edition, 1986 (PDF, 7MB)
- Asbestos on Contaminated Sites, 64/85, Second Edition, 1990 (PDF, 7MB)
- The Restoration and Aftercare of Metalliferous mining sites for pasture and grazing, 70/90, 1990 (PDF, 15.6MB)
- Construction Code of Practice for the Sustainable Use if Soils on Construction Sites, Defra 2009 - withdrawn 15th May 2018
Nuclear and Defence Sites
- Good Practice Guidance for the Management of Contaminated Land on Nuclear Licensed and Defence Sites, SAFEGROUNDS Learning Network, CIRIA. updated 2009. (INFO-PM1f)
- Approach to Managing Contaminated Land on Nuclear Licensed and Defence Sites – An Introduction, SAFEGROUNDS Learning Network, CIRIA. 2009.
- The UK Regulatory Framework for Contaminated Land on Nuclear Licensed Sites and Defence Sites, SAFEGROUNDS Learning Network, CIRIA. 2010.
- Soil and Groundwater Remediation Technologies for Former Gasworks and Gasholder Sites, CL:AIRE 2015.
Oil and gas [petroleum hydrocarbon] industry
- Installation, Decommissioning and Removal of Underground Storage Tanks: PPG27
- Natural Attenuation of Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Chlorinated Solvents in Groundwater R & D Technical Report P305, EA.
- Groundwater Protection Code: Petrol stations and other fuel dispensing facilities involving underground storage tanks, Defra. 2002.
- Gasoline ether oxygenate occurrence in Europe, and a review of their fate and transport characteristics in the environment. Report No. 4/12. Concawe. 2012.
- Environmental fate & effects of poly and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). Report No. 8/16. Concawe. 2016.
Energy Institute/Institute of Petroleum
- Guidelines for Investigation and Remediation of Petroleum Retail Sites IoP, 1998. (INFO-PM1b). Available from Portland Press
- Literature Review: Biofuels - potential risks to UK water resources. Energy Institute, 2008.
- Guidelines for Soil, Groundwater and Surface Water Protection & Vapour Emission Control at Petrol Filling Stations. Institute of Petroleum, 2002.
- Guidance for the Safe Development of Housing on Land Affected by Contamination, R&D Publication 66. EA & NHBC, 2008. (PDF 2.4MB) (INFO-PM1c)
- Protective Measures for Housing on Gas – Contaminated Land, R&D Technical Report P336. BRE, 2001. (INFO-PM1d)
- Brownfields: Managing the Development of Previously Developed Land – a Client’s Guide. CIRIA, 2002. (INFO-PM1e).
- WDA Manual on the Management of Land Contamination. WDA, 2004. (INFO-PM1g)
- English Partnerships' Brownfield Guide, 2007
- Land Contamination Information for Purchasers or Owners of Potentially Contaminated Land, AGS.
- Land Contamination and Archaeology - Good Practice Guidance. Historic England, 2017. (PDF 2.15MB)